Our History

What began in 1733 as a one-man blacksmiths shop has now grown into a modern 22-strong company. We have been able to introduce industry-oriented processes without neglecting our family working atmosphere.

In the future, we will continue to work on keeping our company fit for the future through constant innovation and further development at process and employee level.

Three active generations in the family company.







Metal manufacturing since 1733

Our company has a centuries-old tradition in metalworking. The Engl family business in Bolzano has been active since 1733, first as a wagon and farriers workshop, then as a mechanical workshop. Since 1956, our master craftsman has been working in the field of tool and mold making. Today the company is run by the 10th generation.


Purchase of the „Prözischen Schmidten“

Andrä Engl (*1702 †769) from St. Sigmund in the Pustertal Valley buys the “Prözische Schmidten” on the Wegscheide in the Zollstangen district for the price of 2200 fl. (florins). He is entered in the Bolzano register of citizens on March 12 as an ‘Inwohner’ and pays 15 fl. tax and 2 fl. annual trade tax.

Picture: 1st page from the purchase contract of 1733


Takeover of the “Pretzischen Schmitten”

Johann Baptist Engl (Johann I – *1735 †1790) takes over the “Pretzische Schmitten auf der Weegschaid der Statt Botzen” from his father Andrä.

Picture: Guild seal of Johann Engl 1790


Johann Baptist Andreas Engl (Johann II.) takes over

Johann Baptist Andreas Engl (Johann II – *1769 †1810) takes over the smithy on Wegscheid and acquires the “Hammerschmidten im Viertl Rain und Gurmenthal” in 1798.

Picture: 1st page of the purchase contract for the hammer mill


Johann Anton Josef Engl (Johann III.) takes over

Johann Anton Josef Engl (Johann III – *1795 †1836) takes over the Wegscheid forge, but dies at the age of just 40.

Picture: Excerpt from the 1837 estate


Johann Anton Engl (Johann IV.) takes over

Johann Anton Engl (Johann IV – *1825 †1868) takes over the Wegscheid smithy, acquires the Straußenegg estate in 1863 and operates a lathe and grinding machine in Mühlgasse using water power.

Picture: The widow with children (1868)


Johann Anton Engl (Johann V.) takes over

Johann Anton Engl (Johann V. – *1858 †1941) passes his master craftsmans examination in Innsbruck on October 18, 1883 and takes over the Wegscheid smithy. 1894 and 1898 he builds 3 apartment buildings in Mühlgasse. 1906 Sale of the parent company ‘Wegscheider Schmiede’.

Picture: Picture of the grandfather


Max Josef Engl

Max Josef Engl (*1901 †1973), the youngest son of Johann Engl, attended the Imperial and Royal Technical School in Bolzano and opened a precision mechanics business in Mühlgasse after his practical years. During the war with the air raids on Bolzano, the workshop was moved to Frangart. Return in the fall of 1945.

Picture: Max Engl at the ‘Shapping’


Johann (Hanns) Engl (Johann VI.)

Johann (Hanns) Engl (Johann VI. – *1932), son of Max, joins his father’s apprenticeship on July 1, 1948 after attending the Technical Highschool. From 1956, contact with injection molds and gradual conversion to toolmaking with the acquisition of modern machinery. 1985 Foundation of ‘Hanns Engl Werkzeugbau OHG’. 1988 Move to the newly built hall in Bolzano-South, Negrellistrasse 10. Son Johannes joins his father’s company after completing his school-leaving examination at the technical highschool in 1987 and a period of practical training abroad.

Picture: Hanns Engl


Johannes Maximilian Engl (Johann VII.)

Johannes Maximilian Engl (Johann VII – *1966) becomes a partner and takes over the management of the company together with his father. From 1987 to 2007, numerous investments are made in the machinery and the new CAD-CAM system is implemented. Engl has been ISO 9001:2000 certified since 2000. In November 2006, the new building in Bolzano-South begins and in February 2008 the company moves to the new air-conditioned premises, Klimahaus B, now Enzo-Ferrari-Straße 13.

Picture: Johannes Engl


Matthias Engl

(*1996) Joins the company after studying production logistics and mechanical engineering and becomes part of the management team. He takes over the controlling and purchasing department and consistently pursues the path to more sustainability.

Technical and entrepreneurial development

  • 1956 – First injection molding tools
  • 1969 – First surface grinding machine

  • 1973 – First spark erosion machine

  • 1974 – First die casting molds

  • 1982 – First CNC milling machine

  • 1987 – Move to larger home in Bolzano, Via Negrelli

  • 1991 – First 3D CAD/CAM workstation from Cimatron
  • 1992 – First die-sinking EDM center with electrode changer

  • 1994 – Intensification of gauge construction

  • 1995 – First wire erosion machine, first 3D measuring machine
  • 1998 – Introduction of the Erowa pallet system
  • 2000 – First real HSC machine from Röders, switch to graphite electrodes
  • 2003 – First milling machine with 5 axes
  • 2008 – Move to the new headquarters in Bolzano, Enzo Ferrari Street

  • 2009 – Installation of a photovoltaic system with 35 KWp

  • 2010 – New production line with articulated arm robot controlled by “Winstat” from Certa -Systems GmbH

  • 2011 – Preparation of the first common good balance sheet as a pioneering company

  • 2013 – Purchase of new measuring machine DEA GLOBAL

  • 2014 – Introduction of ERP system, expansion of level II of the automated production line

  • 2015 – Creation of the second common good balance sheet
  • 2016 – Expansion of stage III of the automated production line

  • 2017 – Expansion of the production hall and establishment of a new milling prefabrication department

  • 2018 – First greenhouse gas balance sheet
  • 2022 – Preparation of the third common good balance sheet